Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Training day


I'm going to begin this segment with some random, hilarious quotes about exercise and fitness. These are funny, often true and unfortunately, they clearly represent many of my feelings about exercise... not activity in general but methodical, regimented gym / class exercise.


"Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical,
emotional, and mental states."
~Carol Welch

"I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing."
~Marsha Doble

"A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise."
~A.A. Milne

"I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"My idea of exercise is a good brisk sit."
~Phyllis Diller


Reading these, you probably get the idea that I am not a very active person but really that's not the case at all though I am less active than I desire to be. My preference is doing things: kayaking, hiking, bike riding, swimming walking with my dog, yard work, digging ditches etc... as opposed to going to a gym and doing the same work out over and over and over, which tends to make me feel like a gerbil on a wheel. That said, I actually joined the gym close to my house last week.

After our mini-climb a couple weeks ago, I thought it might be best if I actually attempt to get into some kind of shape for these climbs. We did manage successfully on the hardest part of the Lion's Head Trail and I wasn't absurdly sore the follow days. So I think creating some sense of muscle memory for climbing isn't a bad idea. I really don't want to be the only liability on these climbs (isn't being a novice enough of one?) and I definitely don't want to kill myself trying.

I am not unhealthy but I could be more fit. I carry a bit too much weight but I am strong. I eat well but could benefit (who couldn't?) from healthier choices. If you don't mind the swearing, I have the fortitude and stamina to do just about anything I set out to do... like my workout yesterday: 30 minutes on the treadmill at maximum incline and moderate speed followed by 35 minutes on the stair master, intensity level 4 of 10 and then another 30 minutes on the treadmill at a low incline and moderate-then-low speed. I did some stretching (yoga poses) after. I was exhausted last night but felt great all day today. I will be back at the gym tomorrow.

My gym goal is simple: from now until our next climb, get there every other day. As long as I manage to get there, I will work out. I will use a treadmill and a stair stepper at their maximum inclines, at fairly moderate speeds to simulate climbing. I will rest as needed. I will (eventually) start wearing a back pack doing this, to prepare for carrying one when we climb. I will sweat and I will swear; I do those things anyway. I simply want to get my body used to doing long term strenuous activity. After the next climb I will reevaluate and revise my gym plan. As the weather turns from winter to spring, I will definitely want to move to an outdoor activity fitness regime.

So, if you are a fitness buff or have any interesting thoughts/tips or advice on training for mountaineering, please leave me some comments, some links etc. While I might not take your advice, I am certainly grateful for it and will consider your experience.

Looking for motivation to move... how's this? Click Here. Or, click here.






3 comments:

  1. There are classes where both yoga and plates is combined. Pilates is more core work. Yes the quote puts things into a clearer picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a gym person though almost each day I am telling myself to start woring out. What I am able to maintain is breathing exercizes and healthy food.
    Guess will be back to working out once it gets warmer, on cold days I only want to stay under the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @YogaSavy: I really like the idea of learning to do more Pilates because it is my core area where I am least strong, least fit - both front and back! But the Yoga appeals for the way it can help one become more limber. I should think both would make one more "bendy" in general!

    ReplyDelete